Three inter-linked programmes skill, inspire and empower learners to understand and pursue science and technology studies and careers. To date, CodeMakers has worked with more than 700 learners.
- Skill: through hands-on coding classes Experimentation, trouble shooting, and the design process are fundamental in our work.
- We teach computer science fundamentals through Scratch programming, it's fun, creative, and you can build amazing projects.
- Join the millions that are using it, you can use Scratch in English or isiZulu online or download for offline use.
- See the stories and animations that learners have created combining art and coding or explore the code behind projects uploaded to our Scratch account.
- Inspire: through video interviews of early career professionals. Career fairs can't reach all learners, so we are bringing the fair to them through video interviews of inspiring young South African professionals working in STEAM and other scarce-skill careers.
- Empower: through offline internet education resources Khan Academy, Wikipedia, podcasts and much more. We are distributing these libraries of knowledge to schools and teachers to improve learner understanding, teach research methods, and see alternate ways of teaching.
Expansion and FUTURE PROGRAMMES
We are expanding our Scratch coding programme to more schools in the Umlazi School District. They would like us to work in many more schools than we are currently able to.
We have a number of other ideas to help learners, schools and teachers. Contact us if you want to volunteer, donate or help in any way.
Our organisation started in 2015 with a pilot of linked courses - coding, cardboard engineering, and robotics.
Learners loved it but focusing on coding gives more learners opportunities and is easier to expand to additional schools.